After Care Tips
- As a general rule, you should reach for sunscreen constantly for the first 2 weeks after microneedling. Make sure to apply sunscreen anytime you go outside in the days following your treatment.
- Don’t spend prolonged time out in the sun for the first week after your microneedling procedure, as you’ll be more prone to sun damage than usual.
- Wash your hands before you touch your face.
- Don’t put on makeup, especially with a makeup brush that has been used before, in the 24 hours following microneedling.
- You’ll also need to avoid swimming pools, saunas, and situations where you might sweat heavily, including intense workouts at the gym, to protect your newly treated skin. After 72 hours have passed, you may be able to resume these activities.
What to use and avoid
For the first few days after your microneedling procedure, you’ll need to avoid any skin care product that contains harsh chemicals meant to exfoliate. Avoid anything that’s scented, and don’t use glycolic acid or alpha hydroxy acids.
Retinol A and vitamin C serum should be avoided for the first 48 hours, minimum, after microneedling. Once 2 full days have passed, you might want to gradually add products back into your daily beauty routine instead of doing your usual regimen, especially if you use products that have strong anti-aging formulas.
Be sure to run any cleansers, toners, or scrubs that you plan to apply in the 2 to 3 days after microneedling by your esthetician to make sure the ingredients won’t worsen side effects.
Hyaluronic acid can be used following microneedling, and it’s even recommended in some cases to help stimulate collagen production after your procedure.
The redness that you experience from microneedling will mostly fade within 48 hours. Other symptoms, such as peeling and breakouts, might take slightly longer to resolve.
Most of the visible recovery from microneedling happens in the first day or two after treatment, but healing will still be happening under the surface of your skin for up to 2 months afterward.